About Bob Richardson Legion Branch 496
The Ontario Command of The Royal Canadian Legion is comprised of almost four hundred (400) branches throughout Ontario. With a total membership of almost 100,000 the Ontario Command of the Legion is the largest service oriented organization in Ontario.
Although our main focuses continue to be remembering those who gave their lives for freedom, and looking after the needs of veterans, their dependants, and those still serving in the Canadian Forces; Legions throughout Ontario Command are also contributing to the well being of our neighbours by sponsoring community programs. Support for the communities we live in is one of our main beliefs.
Legions sponsor sports, youth programs, seniors programs, as well as supporting other organizations both financially and by supplying meeting rooms and halls for events. In some communities, the Legion Hall is the main meeting place for community and social events. Branches, zones and districts also raise funds to assist local organizations and regional organizations and facilities such as medical centres, medical research facilities and communities affected by natural disasters.
Legion #496 Sydenham was granted it's official Charter January 14th, 1949. In 1960 the same year Sydenham received their Cenotaph, the branch was named after Private Robert (Bob) Miles Richardson. Private Richardson was a local resident that joined the Canadian infantry in January 1916 at the age of 41. He served with the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles both at Vimy Ridge and Passchendaele. Wounded December 1917, he was repatriated to Canada where he lived until his death in 1949.
4361 Amelia St, Sydenham, Ontario.